Tips and community information
Tips for homebuyers
When you begin your journey to buying a new home, it can be an exciting yet nerve-wracking time, especially when you are looking to move into your dream home. There are many things you need to check off your to-do list during the process from beginning to end, but working with the right agent can make it much less stressful. If you’re looking to buy a home, read through the tips below, and click to download the full buyer’s guide for more. When you’re ready to get started, feel free to contact me!
Get financially prepared
There are a few things that are necessary to prepare yourself financially prior to even starting your search for a new home.
- Check your credit: Your credit scores are a main factor in qualifying for a mortgage loan. However, loan approval doesn’t necessarily mean you’re ready to purchase. Look at your scores, evaluate what you qualify for and check interest rates.
- Plan your budget: Determine the home price range you can realistically afford — not your budget based on the amount your loan was approved for. Think about your total budget with the mortgage, insurance, maintenance and other living costs such as vehicles, groceries and entertainment.
- Get loan preapproval: There’s no point in getting started looking at homes if you don’t qualify for a mortgage loan. Preapproval ensures you know what price ranges to explore and, when you’re ready to make an offer, the seller is confident you’ll be able to secure financing to close the deal.
WITH THE RIGHT REAL ESTATE AGENT BEGIN YOUR HOME SEARCH WITH CONFIDENCE
A seamless home buying experience starts with finding a knowledgeable, personable real estate professional you feel confident and comfortable with. An agent that will listen to your needs, wants, and put in the effort to get to know you and your family to achieve this goal.
I strive to begin each client relationship with those key features in mind. My seasoned experience as an agent has led me to help many clients achieve their goals with ease, confidence, and full knowledge of every step of the buyer or seller process. When you are ready for the next step, I am confident that I can be the real estate agent you need!
What to do when you’ve found “the one”
- Put Your Deposit Into An Escrow Account: Your earnest money deposit will be put into an escrow account that is managed by a neutral third party (typically a title company or bank) who holds the money for the duration of the escrow period. They will manage all the funds and documents required for closing, and your deposit will go towards your down payment which is paid at closing.
- Schedule A Home Inspection: Home inspections are optional but highly recommended to make sure that the home is in the condition for which it appears. Inspections are typically completed within 10-14 days after signing the sales agreement.
- Renegotiate If Necessary: The home inspection will tell you if there are any dangerous or costly defects in the home that need to be addressed. You can then choose to either back out of the deal completely, ask for the seller to make repairs, or negotiate a lower price and handle the repairs yourself.
- Complete Your Mortgage Application: Once you’ve come to an agreement on the final offer, it’s time to finalize your loan application and lock in your interest rate if you haven’t done so already. You may need to provide additional documentation to your lender upon request.
- Order An Appraisal – Lender Ordered Unless Cash Offer: An appraisal will be required by your lender to confirm that the home is worth the loan amount. The appraisal takes into account factors such as similar property values, the home’s age, location, size and condition to determine the current value of the property.
Closing day can be exciting yet stressful. Check with your agent/contact to ensure you bring everything you need, from identification records to payments. Most of closing day is spent signing legal papers that serve as an agreement between you and your lender and an agreement between you and the seller. Read all documents carefully before signing and do not sign any forms with blank lines or spaces.
After everything has been signed and you take possession of the home, it’s time to move in! Gather family and friends to save money on moving costs, and make sure everything is organized and all boxes are clearly labeled for an easy, streamlined move-in process. Hiring a moving company? Be sure to read through customer testimonials and do your research to ensure your belongings will be carefully handled.
Tips for home sellers
Deciding to sell your home isn’t as simple as putting up a sign in the yard and letting potential buyers come to you. There are several steps you need to take to ensure you are prepared to sell, some even before the listing becomes live. I will ensure you will get the most out of your home sale. Read through our tips below and click to download the full seller’s guide for more information. When you’re ready to get started, give me a call.
- River Valley School District
- Baraboo School District
- Beaver Dam Unified School District
- Wayland Academy
- School District of Belleville
- Wisconsin Heights School District
- Oregon School District
- Lakeside Lutheran High School
- School District of Lodi
- Ouisconsing School of Collaboration Charter School
- Marshall Public Schools
- McFarland School District
- Mount Horeb Area School District
- Madison Metropolitan School District
- Cambridge School District
- Middleton-Cross Plains School District
- Deerfield Community School District
- DeForest Area School District
- Edgerton School District
- School District of Janesville
- Lake Mills Area School District
- New Glarus School District
- Sauk Prairie School District
- Merrimac Community Charter School
- Stoughton Area School District
- Waunakee Community School District
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
Entertainment and attractions
From events and festivals to outdoor recreation, restaurants and more, the Madison area offers so much year-round to both residents and visitors. Explore Destination Madison today to discover new, exciting adventures around the area.